Friday, June 3, 2011

Single cup coffee makes on the cheap

My first experience with the single cup coffee makers like Nespresso and Krueger was in an auto dealership. I was waiting for my car to be fixed and sitting in the waiting room. I saw this strange contraption in the corner and decided to investigate. To my surprise it was a coffee maker. For those of you who do not know I will explain how these machines work. You put in a little plastic capsule that looks kind of like one of those creamers they have on the tables in diners only bigger. The capsule has some kind of coffee in it and usually you can choose between a few different types. The machine makes you one cup of coffee then you pull out the spent capsule and toss it.

When I realized how this machine worked I immediately felt like it was way to wasteful. I mean, you are using all of this plastic up in a minute or so and then just tossing it right after. I couldn't in good conscience own one.

However, this morning I was poking around on the coffee blogs and came across a neat little video and I wanted to share it with you guys.





This technique not only eliminates most of the negative environmental impacts of using these machines, but I bet it saves you a lot of money as well. Also you can use any coffee you want and don't have to buy coffee just from companies that make the capsules... that means you could use Moka Joe Coffee.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment